Skyrail Rainforest Cableway
Skyrail Rainforest Cableway
Skyrail takes you on an unforgettable journey over and through Australia’s World Heritage listed Tropical Rainforests, in the Barron Gorge National Park.
Spanning 7.5kms, Skyrail Rainforest Cableway has intimate six person gondola cabins which glide just metres above the canopy providing spectacular views of the rainforest, tropical Cairns, the Coral Sea and the Cairns Highlands. Your Skyrail adventure includes time at two mid-stations, where you can learn more about this fascinating environment on the forest floor.
At Red Peak Station, Skyrail’s Rangers provide guided boardwalk tours, sharing their knowledge on these ancient tropical forests amongst giant buttress roots, ancient Kauri Pines and climbing wait-a-while palms. Red Peak Station also has touch tables and displays on rainforest flora and fauna.
Barron Falls Station has easy access walkways, which take you to three separate lookouts providing breathtaking views of the Barron Gorge and Falls; here you can also visit the Rainforest Interpretation Centre. The centre, which Skyrail developed in conjunction with CSIRO, houses touch screen computers and an interactive audio-visual presentation, which provides an informative and fun learning experience on this unique environment.
Winner of the 2008 Qantas Australian Tourism Award for Excellence in Sustainable Tourism, Skyrail is a premier tourist experience which is accessible to people of all ages and abilities and provides its guests with a truly unique rainforest experience, available no where else in the world.
Situated just 15-minutes from Cairns and 50-minutes from Port Douglas, Skyrail is open every day, except Christmas Day and during programmed, preventative maintenance.
- Return accommodation transfers from Cairns or Port Douglas
- 7.5km cableway journey each way through Australia’s Tropical Rainforests
- Rainforest boardwalks, with interpretive signage
- Guided Ranger tours at Red Peak Station
- Entry to the Rainforest Interpretation Centre at Barron Falls Station
- Lookouts and historical displays at Barron Falls Station
- Trip Guides available in 11 languages
- 2 - 3 hours free time at Kuranda (no free time if booking the 1.30pm departure)
- Allow 6hrs (only 4 hours if booking the 1.30pm departure)
- 8.30am, 10.30am & 1.30pm from Cairns accommodation
- 7.50am from Port Douglas accommodation
- Any time between 9.30am & 2.30pm if self driving to the Skyrail terminal in Smithfield
- Departs from the Caravonica Skyrail terminal 15 minutes north of Cairns. Cairns & Port Douglas return hotel transfers available
- Operates all year
- The skyrail journey takes approximately 1.5 hours each way
- If booking the 1.30pm departure with Cairns transfers please note that you will have limited time in Kuranda
- Each gondola seats up to 6 people
- Child rates (4-14yrs) and family rates available
- You will have several hours free time to walk around Kuranda
- Food, drinks and gift shops available in Kuranda
- Skyrail provides complimentary umbrellas at both rainforest mid-stations, ensuring guests can maximise their rainforest experience rain or shine
- If you wish to drive yourself to the Skyrail terminal in Smithfield (15 mins north of Cairns) select self drive option and please indicate your prefered departure time